More info


Here is Some Important Information For Your Thailand Visa Application

Many Thai consulates are no longer issuing the Non immigrant (NIB) business visa without an employment contract from a Thai school. This can be difficult to get as most employers will want to meet you before agreeing to give you a contract! Also, the consulates will not usually issue an Education visa (ED) for a 2-week training course.The Thai consulate has asked us to inform our students that you may apply for a ‘Single Entry’, 60-day, tourist visa, which can be extended for a further 30 days. This costs around USD$50.

Once you find an employer in Thailand, they can arrange for the appropriate NIB business visa and work permit, once you satisfy their requirements. We were advised by the Thai authorities that it is NOT illegal to ‘SEEK’ employment on a tourist visa, but it Is illegal to actually commence employment with one.

You must state your purpose of visit is TOURIST. Any mention of working or teaching and your visa application will be denied.

Where do I apply?

You need to apply at your nearest Thai Embassy or Consulate.

The application procedure varies at different Embassy’s/Consulates in different countries. Please contact them directly to find out exactly how to apply for the Tourist Visa and what their specific requirements are.

The Single Entry Tourist Visa will cost you approximately $50 USD.

Do I need to show proof of a return ticket?

You need to speak to your local Thai Embassy/ Consulate to find out what their requirements are for issuing a visa.

Some countries will only issue a single or multiple-entry tourist visa if you show proof of either a return or onward ticket within 60 days of arrival. Other countries will issue you a visa without a return on onward ticket, however we are unable to confirm this for you.

We recommend you purchase an extendable (1 year) ticket that is due to return within 60 days of arrival in Thailand, if proof of return is requested upon application of your single/ multiple entry tourist visa from your nearest Thai Embassy/Consulate. When the time comes for you to extend your visa in Thailand, you can then extend your ticket for a fee.

Permit Application In Thailand

Work permits and NIB (Non Immigrant Business) visa sponsorships are the responsibility of your prospective employer and not ‘Teach Abroad Thailand’. You will be asked to provide original copies of your education certificate for a work permit application. You can ask a friend/family member to send the documents to you by post after your arrival in Thailand. You do not need these documents to enter Thailand but they may be required for your work permit application, which should take place at some point after you have started working with your prospective employer.

Due to the amount of paperwork and red tape involved in applying for work permits, many employers simply don’t bother to go through the process until you have, at least, pass your probation period. As a result, many teachers in Thailand never see a work permit. Although technically illegal, this practice has been tolerated for years.

You must insist that your employer sponsors you for a visa and work permit application or you should refuse to work for them. They reserve the right to keep the fees from your salary if you do not complete your contract.

If you plan to stay in Thailand for 12 months or more then your employer will usually apply for a work permit, but in some cases only after your probation period of 2-3 months.

Disclaimer: Thailand is the land of smiles, but also the land of contradictions. The information on this page is written in good faith and is to be used as a general guide. Regulations can change without notice and are always open to interpretation.Your visa application is subject to the approval of the Thai consulate staff and you cannot hold us liable if your application is rejected or if the regulations/fees change without notice, as they often do! That said, we have never had any student who was unable to obtain a visa to enter Thailand.
Please note that most Thai consulates will not process visa applications more than 4-weeks prior to your departure.
You should therefore send your visa application by REGISTERED POST ONLY to the Thai consulate, 4-weeks before your departure date.
The Thai consulates are generally very efficient and the process only takes a few days.
Do NOT visit them in person as this take longer and may require 2-3 visits.

You Must Send By Registered Post:
1. Your Passport – You would be amazed at how many people forget to send their passport.
2. Visa Application Form – From the websites below. Search Google for ‘Thai Consulate’ if the links are broken.
3. Recent Professional Photos x 2 – The same type as you got for your passport with a white background only. No social
pictures with your family, friends or your dog please!
5. Required Fee – Fees may change without notice. Please refer to consulates website and application form.
6. Your contact and address details in Thailand is: Andrea Freeman, 1-7 Silom Road, Bangrak, Bangkok, 10500.
Tel: 02674 2897
7. Prepaid self-addressed envelope – Each consulate may be different so please check on the relevant website.
8. Copy of your return flight ticket to Thailand – Some consulates ask to see this, and some don’t. We have been advised that this rule will be enforced in 2013.

Regulations change from month to month and we have no control over the Thai consulates decision. Sometimes you just get someone in the wrong mood and they don’t issue the proper visa. That said though we have never had a student who was refused a visa to get them into Thailand!

South Africa

The embassy links seem to change without notice. If the links are broken, please run a search in Google. Do NOT visit the Thai consulate in person as this can sometimes take longer to process and may require two visits.

Why Do I Only Get a 60 or 90 Day Stamp Upon Arrival In Thailand?

Double Entry Tourist Visa – You will get a 60 day stamp upon arrival. You can extend this visa within Thailand for an additional 30 days for a fee of around USD$50. After 90 days in total, you must leave the country then come back in
to activate your second (Double) entry which gives you another 60 days. You can extend this visa again within Thailand for an additional 30 days for a fee of around USD$50. So in total, you could get 6 months, with one visa run.

Single Entry Tourist Visa – You will get a 60 day stamp upon arrival. You can extend this visa within Thailand for an additional 30 days for a fee of around USD$50. After 90 days in total, you must leave the country to get a new visa.

Single Entry NIB Visa – You will be given a 90 day stamp upon arrival in Thailand and you cannot leave the country unless
you get a re-entry permit. 90 days gives you enough time to find an employer who can sponsor you, which means they can extend your visa for up to 2 years with a work permit. If you leave the country without a re-entry permit then your visa becomes void. If you do make this mistake you can re-enter the country on a tourist visa.

Multiple Entry NIB Visa – Until you get a work permit, you must leave the country every 90 days and get a re-entry stamp each time you come back into Thailand. This is common for most teachers and ex-pats who live and work in Thailand.
Although it may seem somewhat inconvenient, it does give you a great opportunity to visit the wonderful nearby countries such as Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia and Laos! Four trips abroad every year isn’t that bad! You don’t need to visit any
consulate. just walk out the country and back in again if required.

FREE TEFL GUIDE '7 things they don't tell you about teaching in Thailand'
We value your privacy and will never share your details with anyone. This is our absolute promise. You may opt out of our list at any time. View our privacy policy. I accept the terms and conditions.